Looking for counselling for my grandchildren

Your Question

Hi, I’m looking for counselling for my grandchildren


Hi there,  

Thank you so much for reaching out to ask Robyn. It is great that you are looking for support for your grandchildren as this can be a hard step to take, there is so much different support out there and it may be hard to know where to start.  

Looking for counselling or therapy can feel overwhelming and to start off it is important to think about why you are seeking this support. Have the children experienced a certain life event that you feel they need this support, or maybe you have observed certain behaviours or interactions that you feel they need support with? Younger children may benefit from play therapy rather than formal counselling. This approach is more age appropriate and can meet the children where they are at language wise.  

Childline has a range of services that you may find helpful, such as a digital metal health programme and therapeutic support services available in some areas in Ireland. You can find more information here: www.childline.ie/childlines-24-hour-support-line-and-other-services-explained/ We also have a list of support services in Ireland that you may find helpful depending on your niece and nephew’s needs: www.childline.ie/getting-help/ 

It may help to contact your GP or local Primary Care centre. They can advise of counsellors or therapists in the area who can support your grandchildren and meet their needs. Some schools also have counselling or therapy services linked in so it may be another approach to link in with the schools to ask for guidance on this support.  

Thank you for getting in touch we hope you have found this helpful. If you wish to discuss this further, the ISPCC’s Support Line service can be contacted by email to [email protected] or between 9am – 1pm Monday – Friday by calling 01 522 4300.   

Take care,  


Ask us a question

You can ask us about anything you want, there’s nothing too big or small.